Thursday 19 June 2014

Clean Choc Chip Cookies

Clean Choc Chip Cookies



I am mad for cookies. Like seriously, I love them. If there is one thing that I cannot go without it is cookies or biscuits of some form. Call me crazy but a packet of cookies, or tray of freshly baked ones are my kryptonite.

So how does one work around this weakness and avoid the saturated fat and high processed sugar content of normal cookies? Well I finally have a recipe that hits the spot for sweetness and chocolatey-ness that I search for. Don't get me wrong, the real thing full of butter and sugar is oh so delicious and I still enjoy them on occasion, but this recipe fulfils the yearning for a sweet thing, and I particularly love them as an after dinner treat with a cup of tea. As grandma like as that sounds both my husband and I have embraced our grandparent-like after dinner habits. I blame it on the current Winter climate, but who am I kidding I do the same in Summer.

So, to the cookies. These really are a hit in my house, even my husband who is very tentative when it comes to anything labelled 'healthy' ( I'm working on him don't worry ) absolutely loves them! We even fought over the last one! You can add whatever nuts and chocolate you like. I use half and half dark chocolate and milk chocolate because the hubby doesn't like all dark chocolate, but if you want to keep it strictly clean use a good quality dark chocolate. I personally love all dark chocolate but whatever you prefer. I don't generally use chocolate chips in many of my recipes, I find proper chocolate chopped up tastes better and kind of flakes through the whole batter, but if choc chips are easier then go ahead. I'm just a fuss pot when it comes to chocolate. 

I use walnuts in my recipe but they would work well with pecans, macadamia's or even peanuts as well. This recipe makes about 8 cookies but can be easily doubled.

Ingredients:
- 170 grams almond meal
- 1 cup dark chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teas bi carb soda
- 1/8 teas salt
- 1 tbls coconut oil ( or butter )
- 1/6 cup honey ( half of a 1/3 cup measurement)
- 1/2 teas vanilla extract
- 1 egg

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
2. Combine almond meal, chocolate, walnuts and bi carb soda in a bowl and stir with a fork to break up any clumps of almond meal.
3. Combine coconut oil ( or butter ), honey and salt in another bowl, and if needed microwave for 20 seconds or so to liquefy and dissolve the salt.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the egg and vanilla and stir a little to slightly combine. Add the coconut oil mixture and stir to combine all the ingredients.
5. Using an ice cream scoop or similar, scoop portions onto baking trays. Then using slightly damp hands flatten each ball slightly and make them even in shape. The cookies will not rise or change shape at all whilst baking so whatever shape you make here will be the shape when baked.
6. Bake for approximately 15 mins or until golden brown. 
7. When removing them from the oven, slide the baking paper off the trays and leave the cookies to cool slightly on the paper. Don't leave them on the hot trays as the bottom will continue to cook and burn. 
8. After about 5 minutes move onto a cooling tray to cool completely.



This batch made 8 cookies plus one mini one. I must have been extra generous this time with the ingredients!!





No comments:

Post a Comment