Wednesday 25 June 2014

Breakfast Banana Muffin

I've recently started back at work after holidays for my wedding and honeymoon, and early morning starts have had me looking for an easy portable breakfast that isn't full of sugar or processed flour. 

I came up with this recipe which I may tweak a little next time I make it, although I did enjoy these. They are a little denser than a normal muffin but I think they make a solid nutritious breakfast on the go. If you want to go completely Paleo you could substitute the oat flour for almond meal and leave out the extra rolled oats. Chopped apple may be a nice addition and I may add it in next time I make them, for a little extra sweetness. Happy baking!




Ingredients:

- 1/2 cup dried dates
- 6 weet bix
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup extra milk
- 1 cup mashed banana 
- 1 cup rolled oats blitzed in food processor to make flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats extra
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbls honey
- big dash of cinnamon

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius and grease a 6 muffin tin, large ones.
2. Place the dates and 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 - 10 mins or until the dates are really soft. You may need to add a little extra water towards the end.
3. Crumble weet bix into a bowl and pour over the large portion of milk.
4. Leave weet bix to soak. Drain the dates and then cut up very fine until paste like. 
5. Stir mashed banana, date paste and honey into weet bix mix.
6. In another bowl mix oats, oat flour, baking powder and cinnamon together. Add the wet mix into the dry mix and combine slightly. 
7. Add extra milk to loosen mixture and combine. 
8. Divide into 6 muffin holes and bake for approximately 35 - 40 mins or until golden brown and cooked through 

No comments:

Post a Comment